Thursday, June 1, 2023
Home / Power Stories / Glenda’s Story (Breast Cancer)

Glenda’s Story (Breast Cancer)

glenda-power-story-breast-cancerHello, my name is Glenda. My story starts in 2013. My dog found my cancer. One morning I was playing with my dog and she jumped and landed on my left breast. It started burning and itching. I had never felt that sensation. I became worried and decided that I should probably go have an ultrasound done. Once I did that, it came back positive that I had breast cancer. That’s when all the craziness started. The doctors started throwing so much information at me that I could not process, it didn’t even feel I like I like what they were telling me was what I had, and I just couldn’t believe it.They told me that I had lymphatic breast cancer. Doctors then told me I needed surgery and I would have to do chemotherapy.

I proceeded to have the surgery and do the chemotherapy treatments. They told me they got it, I’m all good but will remain under doctors’ care for 5 years and after that I will be completely free of cancer. I am in my 4th year going into 5th year. I have been telling them something is wrong; I was having some of the same old symptoms. Both my oncologist and primary doctor kept telling me, “nope you’re good. Blood work looks good; don’t see anything on the MRI.”

Until one day, I fall and fracture my left shoulder. Six months later and my shoulder isn’t healing like it should. I can’t move and rotate my shoulder like I should be able to. So, I go back to both doctors. My primary doctor takes blood tests and says he thinks I’m just having phantom pain (basically he thinks it’s in my head).Go to the oncologist and she says, “okay Glenda tell you what I’m going to do; I will order one last MRI, but I am pretty sure nothing is wrong.” I, needless to say, was very mad because I know my body.

Days go by. Test results should be back. I had to call both doctors. I called the oncologist first. She said, “I’m sorry I was just getting ready to call you.
Anyway the cancer is back and has spread to the sternum bone, first and second rib, left lung, and lymph nodes.” I knew it. I called my primary and asked him about the results. He proceeded to tell me I was good, nothing was wrong. I asked him if he was looking at the right x-rays because that’s not what the oncologist just told me. I then told him he had better look again and hung up the phone.

The point to my story is that most of us know our bodies. Don’t let anyone make you feel less than just because you want a second opinion. It didn’t help me that I have the bottom of the barrel health insurance. Now it’s going on 9 years; I have taken pills, done chemo treatment, shots, and done 13 rounds of radiation. It’s still on the move.

So, I’m done with all the treatments. I want to enjoy what time I have left with my family and friends. I don’t want to be suffering from the side effects of the medications anymore. I am now on hospice as of January 2020. What a ride. All I can say is no more wasting time; I’m doing what makes me happy as long as I can…I spend as much time as I can with the people who are the closest to me. That’s my advice to you. Live, take advantage of each day that God brings you, and love to the fullest. Don’t allow yourself to get mad because it’s a waste of valuable time.

I don’t feel like I’m giving up, I’m living with dignity until my time is up.
Live your days like it’s your last. Love hard and play hard. Each day, pray and thank God for today.

Sacramento, California.
Submitted 03/04/2020

This story is intended to convey a personal experience and, because every person’s experience is unique, should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional healthcare advice.

Check Also

julie's story multiple cancers

Julie’s Story (Multiple Cancers)

My story starts 48 years ago, I was 4 years old when I was diagnosed …


  1. Sherry

    Such a sad yet inspirational journey! I pray that you make many #pricelessmemories with those you love

  2. Karen

    Dear Glenda, thank you for sharing your story. I pray that you do get to have joy every remaining day you have. My husband died 35 days after his cancer diagnosis-we barely had time to say goodbye. I wish you all the very best and admire your decision in the face of all you’ve been through.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *