National Endometriosis Awareness Month is upon us once again! If you are anything like me, you may wonder, what on earth does it mean and how can I be a part of it? Granted it is not like October where every venue you enter is flooded with pink and where the general public has an understanding of what the pink ribbon stands for, but that does not mean we cannot make a difference! Here are some easy ways to get involved in Endo Awareness Month this March:
- Sport a yellow shirt on Yellow Shirt Day which takes place on March 1st and ask your friends and loved ones to do the same! What if we were able to flood the month of March with yellow the way October is saturated in pink? Would Congress then take notice and raise funding so that we can find a cure?
- Sport an Endometriosis Awareness Shirt as often as possible the rest of the month (and year)! Fight Like a Girl has an amazing selection of kickin’ shirts for endo warriors like you and me. I don’t know if there is a stigma attached to being vocal about endometriosis since it relates to our “lady parts” but if we can proudly sports shirts (and bumper stickers) that read “Save the Ta-tas” then surely we can proudly show our desire to overcome endo (we can skip the “save the ute” t-shirt though…lol).
- Hand out yellow ribbons. This is something that I do every year because it is so easy to do and can make a big difference. For the month of March, I keep a basket of yellow ribbons on my desk with a small framed poster that gives stats regarding endometriosis. As co-workers and others stop by my desk, I can pass out the ribbons and let them know about awareness month.
- Add a blurb about Endo Awareness Month to your email signature. This is another simple yet effective way to spread the word! It may not seem like much but believe me, it makes a difference!
- Take social media by storm! Light up facebook, twitter, and your blog about endometriosis. If you haven’t noticed, there are tons of Facebook groups already created to spread the word about Endometriosis Awareness Month so join on in! Tweet out stats about endometriosis and how people can get involved to raise awareness. Blog about your journey with endometriosis and your desire to see that a cure is found in your lifetime. It is time that we unite our voices together and make a powerful warrior cry that we will not be defeated!
Together we can make National Endometriosis Awareness Month 2011 one to remember! What are ways you plan on getting involved this month?
<hugs and painfree wishes>
This article is intended to convey general educational information and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional healthcare advice.