Since Christmas is coming up (or any holidays you celebrate!), I thought I would write an article on great gifts for people who are suffering from Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome. We have slightly different needs, so tailored presents are MUCH appreciated!
- Super comfortable pajamas! Many people with these illnesses have excessive skin pain, where it seems like even the air hurts (including myself!). Try to get something in a cotton/modal combination – this is a great example: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3146013?origin=category&resultback=600.
- Slippers/a robe/a blanket (or some combination thereof!). Most Fibro and CFIDS patients are always cold or hot. When cold, a little extra protection is needed. Again, look for the softest and warmest materials you can find. I have two robes, several pairs of slippers, and a leopard print snuggie (which I totally recommend haha)!
- This is a pricey one, but an iPod Touch. I can’t even describe how much joy this little machine has brought to my life. You can take it in bed when you have insomnia, and listen to favorite music while playing great games like Bejeweled 2. It helps my mind settle down and lessens my concentration on the pain. It’s just a really tiny computer!
- New pillows with decorative pillowcases! I love merging art and daily objects, especially something as integral as a pillow. It MUST be comfortable though!
- Magazines/puzzle books/coloring books of their liking! Couch days or hospital days are made a whole lot less boring with the addition of these little joys!
- The gift of some of your time. I don’t know how many days that I have loved people for taking the time to help me with something like the dishes, changing the sheets on my bed, or driving me to an appointment! Such simple tasks are a HUGE gift to those who are lacking in energy!
- Care packages!!! As soon as I get a little more ambition, I’m going to make a ton of these! I don’t think that there is anything that shows you care more than a nice little parcel of customized love!
- If you are especially close to the ill person, check in regularly, and if they are up for it, take them out for something short and decadent! A fancy dessert place, a facial – anything that will make them feel pampered!
The best part of the holidays, in my opinion, is the gathering and closeness of individuals. When it comes right down to it, all we really want is to still be considered for all major events, and in touch with friends and family. Any gesture of kindness from another person is sure to be a treat to those suffering from illnesses at the holidays.
This is just a small sample of the nice things you can do year round for those in your life who have Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome! If you are one of these people, buy yourself some presents to help you feel a little better!
What do you all want to add to the list??!
This article is intended to convey general educational information and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional healthcare advice.